Friday, April 15, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal

I have been reading other homeschool moms' journals (found at The Homeschool Chick) for a couple of weeks, so I thought I might do this when I can.

In my life this week…

I have really depended on my parents to get around. My car has been in the shop for a few days, a couple of days more than planned. (We haven't had air-conditioning in our car since it went out during our vacation in November. It was fine for awhile, of course, but after the last few weeks, I couldn't take it anymore.)

I have been trying to dig myself up out of the mess we've built up the past month or two. It's atrocious. I still have a lot to do. It will be waiting for me upon the return from my trip this weekend.

In our homeschool this week…

things were made a little simpler for me with our new computer set-up my husband worked on. For a long time, we've just had two old computers - one is a broken laptop hooked into a different monitor - and a tiny netbook. Everything is slow and outdated, but Ryan found a good deal on a small desktop to go along with a nice, new monitor and keyboard we already happened to have. Thanks, Babe! We can now even buy songs on iTunes, without waiting minutes between every click of the mouse. I think this will give me a little more time in the day by making school prep and blogging, etc. quicker.

Dash is coming along in his reading. After our two week spring break, which sort of stretched into three, he really regressed. I was in a bit of a panic, worried he'd lost everything he knew about reading so far. However, I've hit it hard with him this week, and I think he's back on track.

Sissy and I have been, at her request, working on our Ballet Unit. There didn't seem to be a preschool Ballet Unit to be found on the internet, but we've been coming up with fun stuff to do.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

The kids loved getting together with our local homeschool group at gymnastics today.

Soccer practice is always a nice little social event for the kids and me. I don't get to talk to the over age 10 crowd very often...

Sissy and I are packing for our trip to St. Louis. It's just us girls, headed to my sister and brother-in-law's place for a couple of days. I'm going to take the boys on a trip, just the three of us, as soon as school is out. I think this will be my new mode of travel if Ryan is not with us - taking one or two at a time.

My favorite thing this week was…

going on a date with my husband. We've somehow managed to squeeze in three dates lately. (Limitless, dim sum, and Source Code) I am getting used to this!

What’s working/not working for us…

I've read a lot about the "sensory diet" as regards to my oldest son who has definite sensory issues. ( A sensory diet is a "carefully designed, personalized activity plan that provides the sensory input a person needs to stay focused and organized throughout the day. Just as you may jiggle your knee or chew gum to stay awake or soak in a hot tub to unwind, children need to engage in stabilizing, focusing activities too.)

It has suddenly occurred to us how much our 6 year old son benefits from ideas of the sensory diet, as well.. He is so much happier if he has gotten a half hour of me chasing him/tickling him/wrestling with him. Or if he has just returned from soccer practice/game. Or playing tennis with Ryan. Because I devote so much attention on my children, I forget that the "type" of attention really matters, too. Just because I don't personally require physical exertion (or to be chased, ha!), I know that there are other things I really need in life in order to do my best. He cuddled in bed with me last night and read 3 books aloud without getting frustrated or complaining - because Ryan had taken him to play tennis right before that. I know this all seems like common sense. It's not a new concept to us that our middle child is high energy and loves physical activity. BUT we are trying to put in extra effort to make sure his little body and brain are being supported and stimulated in the right way for him BEFORE we begin expecting the other stuff. It's just an experiment; we'll see how it goes.

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…

...looking forward to our homeschool convention next month. I asked my husband if I could attend one of the Great Homeschool Conventions, but the only one left this year is in Pennsylvania in June. He didn't really reply. (I guess that wasn't a no, per se...) I'm wondering what states in driving distance to Arkansas have really good homeschool conventions???

...praying about next year. Who, What, Where, When, etc. A lot to consider.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

One afternoon I took the kids to see Hop. It was really cute and entertaining. I love the movies that are a mix between "real movie" (with someone I like such as James Marsden) and animation.

The other day, my 4 year old daughter and I were talking. (She loves to talk! If I'm, for some reason, NOT talking to her and starting up a good conversation, she will definitely get it going, "Let's talk about our day." or "Let's talk about what I did at dance class." This is a funny, interesting thing to my husband who never had sisters.) Anyway, I said, "Will you always tell me about your life? Your friends and school, your job, your boyfriends...everything?" She replied (very matter-of-factly), "Well, my boyfriend is (her brother's name)...and (her other brother's name)."

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

1 comment:

katie at brighton park said...

stopping by from the HMJ linky. It IS so great to get date nights! we dont get to many during tax season (Mr. Darcy is a CPA) but the rest of the year we find making time for each other makes everything run much smoother; including our homeschool! hope you will stop by and say hello! blessings to you and your family!