Wednesday, March 16, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Studies

I planned the beginning of our Ireland studies to begin the week of St. Patrick's Day. We'll continue doing more St. Patrick's Day and Irish activities over the next couple of weeks. We really like this holiday around our house, especially because both of our sons have very Irish names. (They think it's fun to spot their names in Irish books.) And probably because we're so happy to be surrounded in green by this time of year. And we like to put on our pretend Irish accents. Well, I do, at least. (It actually might be a mix of Australian, British, and Irish.) They squeal for me to stop.

I was so excited when I found this old bulletin board set in an old bunch of posters I hadn't looked through in years. I like that it has the flag...

and the map for them to become familiar with.

The Books
Some of the St. Patrick's Day and Irish-related books we've checked out so far: Leprechaun Gold, Mrs. McCool and the Giant Cuhullin, St. Patrick's Day, The Luckiest Leprechaun, Jamie O'Rourke and the Pooka, St. Patrick's Day...

...Cultures of the World: Ireland, Crafts for St. Patrick's Day, St. Patrick's Day in the Morning, The Leprechaun's Gold, Lucky O' Leprechaun, and Jamie O'Rourke and the Big Potato.

*The kids especially like The Luckiest Leprechaun: A Tail-Wagging Tale of Friendship by Justine Korman and Mrs. McCool and the Giant Cuhullin, an Irish tall-tale about the giants, Cuhullin and Finn McCool by Jessica Souhami.

Shamrock Hunt
This afternoon, we walked around our neighborhood, looking for clovers. Even though we looked high and low, we couldn't find any! We live in a very wooded neighborhood; we don't even really have grass at our house. (And, yup, that's an inside-out Spiderman costume he's wearing.)

I remembered there were plenty of clovers growing outside our homeschool co-op, which is only a couple of minutes from our house so we drove over there and picked some.

I used to be obsessed with finding 4 leaf clovers when I was young. I could always find them quicker than the rest of my family, and I had a book full of pressed ones. When we were getting ready to get back in the car, I thought to myself, "If I find a 4-leaf clover first, then good luck is coming my way," which I wanted to feel after having received some bad news yesterday. (I don't want you to think I believe in "luck" - it's just a fun idea. And I think of it as a synonym for blessing.) When I spotted this 4 leaf clover, it put a big smile on my face.

The Art Project
They glued some of their clovers to the card stock.

I made copies of a "dancing leprechaun" reproducible that is a part of that Carson-Dellosa Bulletin Board set, and the kids colored them, cut them out, and glued them onto their paper. The legs aren't glued, though; they are attached with brads so they can "dance."

They decorated their pictures with rainbows, etc.


Sensory Tub
The kids have been playing with this for a couple of weeks. I bought a few bags of Great Value split peas to use instead of rice this time. I added measuring spoons, black paper cups as "pots" for the gold, shamrock cookie cutters, and even a cute little leprechaun.

I also put in tiny craft shamrocks and larger soft shamrocks, gold jewels, clear stones, jingle bells because they seemed "leprechaun"ish, and a few Irish Blessing coins for the kids to dig out. And since leprechauns make shoes for the elves and fairies, I added a pair of shoes from one of Sissy's dolls.

They love it!

Link-Ups:
stART (story + art): A Mommy's Adventures
Homeschool Creations: Preschool Corner
Red Ted Art: Kids Get Crafty
JDaniel4's Mom: Read, Explore, Learn

3 comments:

RedTedArt said...

Oh my oh my oh my! How fabulous to go on a Shamrock hunt! Even better to start the hunt fruitless only to... then find many! Makes the kids even more excited, surely!!!! Love the pictures. So so lovely!

Maggy
(thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty - love all the different ideas you guys have!!)

Debbie said...

I really love the idea of a shamrock hunt! Thank you for linking up this week.

Unknown said...

Your collection of books is wonderful. I love how you have fiction and non-fiction! The sensory bin, dancing leprechaun and hunt all look great!

Thanks for linking up to Read.Explore.Learn.