Monday, May 17, 2010

Muffin Tin Monday: Birds and Nests, recipes

Muffin Tin Monday at Her Cup Overfloweth

This week's Muffin Tin theme was BIRDS & NESTS. To see more bird/nest meals, visit Muffin Tin Mom.
NEST: lettuce drizzled with olive oil and salt, grated carrots, and grape "eggs"
NEST: shredded wheat nest and cream cheese "eggs" (I used Tofutti soy cream cheese.)



Directions for NEST (this is close to the recipe I used - I sort of guessed and added to taste):

Crumbled 3 Barbara's Bakery brand shredded wheat biscuits in a bowl

Added 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes AND 1 1/2 TBS. brown sugar

Stirred in between 1/4-1/2 cup melted Earth Balance (margarine)...just poured it in until it seemed moistened just enough

Pressed the mixture into muffin cup and baked at 350 for about 8 minutes (or until just starting to brown and get crispy).


This was my favorite part - they were SO tasty, and I loved the way they came out of the pan all formed. (These that I took out of the pan I let sit for a bit because if you take them out too soon they will fall apart.) I'm going to make them again sometime - fill them with pudding or fruit, etc. mini fruit kebobs because...well, fruit just seems spring-y...on a "nest' of almonds and walnuts
TWIGS

In food processor, finely grind 1/2 cup plain cashews and 1/2 cup walnuts. I also added 2 TBS. ground flax seed. I added 3/4 cup dates, about 1 TBS cocoa powder, and a little squirt of agave nectar.

(This mixture does not have to be cooked; we usually just eat it raw at this point...Dash made me leave him some raw to eat. It actually tastes better that way, but I wanted the sticks to stand up so I baked them.)

I put them in the oven at about 250 until they were just starting to feel baked then let them sit on the pan until they were firm before I tried to remove them.
I had to make several refills on the kebobs.
It was a hit.

8 comments:

Jamie said...

So creative!!! Everything turned out so well and looks yummy, too!

Unknown said...

i like the cream cheese eggs I had cream cheese but my son has not developed a taste for it yet.

Wic said...

it all looks amazing and they loved it.

Lori said...

That is an awesome tin!!

Robbins Zoo said...

Your tin does look very pretty AND yummy!

Unknown said...

Your tin looks great! I love your nests.

The Princess said...

Wow - I love all of it - but I think I am going to have to try those twigs!

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

Wow so creative! Love the shredded wheat nests with CC eggs and the twigs..so cute and yummy!