Monday, December 22, 2008

Countdown to Christmas

Here is a picture of Dash when we were in the middle of decorating our tree. I am answering Christmas questions I got from the Lee family blog.
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Definitely not egg nog...a sip of hot chocolate here and there is okay.
2. Does Santa wrap gifts, or place them under the tree? Everything has to be wrapped, even stocking stuffers.
3. Colored lights on the house/tree or white? Mostly white, one strand of green
4. Do you hang mistletoe? We have some in our entryway. Of course.
5. When do you put up decorations? Usually after Thanksgiving, this year - weekend before.
6. What is your favorite Christmas dish? We don't have any special Christmas dishes...we usually make gingerbread house shaped pancakes for breakfast and decorate them with berries, icing, nuts, chocolate chips, etc. Ryan has requested Thanksgiving-type food for Christmas dinner because that's his favorite kind of food, and we don't eat a lot of big meals like that around here.
7. Favorite Christmas memory? It would be hard to pick a favorite from growing up. There were always special times with my parents and three siblings. I remember getting in bed with my brother at 4:00 a.m. because we were too excited to sleep. I miss Christmas Eve with Mert and Donald. I remember fondly the Christmas Eve my youngest sister was born. I have loved every Christmas with my children. A few years ago, there was beautiful snow on the ground on Christmas Day.
8. When did you learn the truth about Santa? I don't remember. I think it was gradual, nothing traumatic.
9. Do you open gifts on Christmas Eve? The kids have a scavenger hunt which leads them ultimately to baby Jesus who needs to be put in the nativity and their Christmas pajamas plus new house shoes.
10. How do you decorate your tree? Many ornaments are from my tree growing up or other heirloom or ones we've bought on vacation or other special times...I have a lot of wood and metal ornaments, old-fashioned ornaments.
11. Snow: love it or dread it? I like it. I would be so happy if it would snow on Christmas Day.
12. Can you ice skate? Kind of. I can't do twirls or anything.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Impossible to narrow it down; I'm a very cheerful receiver.
14. What is the most important thing about Christmas for you? My children are still so young to fully grasp what Christmas means, but all the little moments when I think they understand a portion of it - I love those moments.
15. What is your favorite Christmas dessert? buckeyes, I guess
16. What is your favorite Christmas tradition? waking up and opening stockings and presents together
17. What tops your tree? brown metal star
18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving? I would definitely pick giving, but I'm not going to lie...I love receiving presents. But I don't want to know what I'm getting. I just love surprises in general. On both ends. I'm excited about what my kids are getting this year.
19. What is your favorite Christmas song? O, Little Town of Bethlehem and Let it Be Christmas by Alan Jackson
20. Candy Canes: yum or yuck? I'm not a big candy person, but I'll eat part of one like they sell at Whole Foods every once in awhile.
21. What do you want for Christmas? Oh, I'm not picky. Clothes, things for the house, etc. I probably shouldn't get too specific as gifts have already been purchased, ha.
22. Do you attend an annual Christmas party? no, just family get togethers usually
23. Do you dress up on Christmas or wear pjs? I prefer to keep my pjs on all day.
24. Do you own a Santa hat? yes
25. With whom do you normally spend Christmas? the five of us...then go to my parents, but this year we had Christmas at my parents the weekend before Christmas so we're staying in all day...we'll get together with Ryan's family sometime, too.

2 comments:

Karie said...

mmmmm we just made buckeyes today (was eating one while reading this, actually), but we call them peanut butter bonbons. They're one of Shannon's favorite so it is a special treat from me to him.

Cary said...

Fun little survey.
That reminds me...I stole some of your buckeyes and am going to get one out of the fridge right now. Yummy.
I miss going to Mert and Donalds for XMas Eve, too!