Saturday, January 26, 2019

Field Trip: The Hermitage

    
      In June, we stopped by The Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home and museum in Nashville, Tennessee.

The home and grounds were all beautiful. 

     Sadly, Jackson's tomb had recently been vandalized and was covered up during the renovation project. When I think about slavery, trust me, I am so sad and angry that I want to break something, too. I also want peace and don't wish to see historical places defaced. I want to learn from them. Also, the entire museum does a fine job of explaining the pros and cons of this man and his life.

 
 
     Andrew Jackson's was orphaned. His brother died in the Revolutionary War. He entered the war at age 13 with his other brother. He became a prisoner of war. He also fought in the War of 1812. Early on, he was self taught and self motivated. He became a lawyer, a delegate, a U.S. Representative, a Senator, a Supreme Court judge, a Colonel, a General...President. He was the only president to have adopted a Native American child. Having no biological children, he adopted or became guardian to many other children.

     He never freed any of his slaves.
We listened to the audio tour as we walked around.

The kids enjoy visiting places like this not only for the educational aspect.

 
They just always find places to explore and roam. 

 
Even my big kids appreciate this.
So I say: more of this.
grave of Jackson's long time slave Alfred 

     He can be such a great big brother.

     Ninja knows that he is the only one (other than his dad) who has the strength and fortitude to carry him for long distances.  (I wish little brother would grasp an appreciation for this and reward him by not being such an annoying pain sometimes, haha.)

It was a lovely day.

No comments: