Monday, January 21, 2019

3rd and 5th Grade: Post #3

 I have waited so long to finish updating my blog that I'm missing so many details. I'm going to go ahead and post what I have, hating that I'm leaving so much out of their fun 3rd/5th grade year! Hopefully (will I?! one day?!), I will get back to doing a better job recording our family history. And this has been all about Sis and Dash, since they were the ones who homeschooled. Baby Bro and Tornado have great years at their schools, too, and I will update their happenings, too, eventually - especially since at the time of this posting, we are all back to homeschooling together.

Citrus Picking
 We love visiting Dooley Groves, picking citrus fruit, and sampling the super juicy oranges and amazing fresh juice.

 Disney
 One of the kids' Christmas gifts: Disney annual passes!!! We had been saving up for 3 years for this moment!

It was definitely a fun year full of fun - and learning. We tried to explore all that Epcot had to offer, as far as technology and countries/cultural, but we couldn't even get to all of it in a year. (Hopefully, there will be more Disney in the future!)

 Exercise
One of my favorite places in Tampa is the pedestrian walkway on the Courtney Campbell Causeway. I brought my homeschooled kids one day for a little exercise.

They were exploring the crystals/rocks along the edge of the water. Also, I think they got captivated by a very mysterious, unknown dead animal carcass.

Special Moments
Brother celebrated his 4th birthday on a pirate cruise in Clearwater.
Sister invited a couple of friends to join her family for a Rainbow-Unicorn themed bash.

Sis joined me in my excitement to attend the Loretta Lynn concert in St. Petersburg. This was a beautiful theater, and we had a fun night. 

 Another day we ventured to the Chocolate
Festival (!) and found a few vegan treats.


Tornado chose to celebrate his birthday going to LEGOLAND and staying a night at the resort. It was a great family weekend. We haven't stayed at a resort many times, and I'm reminded when we do about how nice it is. We were able to get into LEGOLAND with our homeschool discount, which is a great deal.
Field Trip
This was an educational field trip at the Science Center of Pinellas. The subject was rock and minerals. I dropped them off for the afternoon while they enjoyed this hands-on class. They also watched a show in the planetarium.

We spent time at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium when our friends from Missouri were visiting. We also made a visit to Dino World for the first time.

During one of our trips to Missouri, we got passes to the Discovery Center in Springfield.

We were able to go back a few times over the year.

Gymnastics
Sis took gymnastics her kindergarten year in Arkansas. She started taking classes in Florida. Soon she was asked to join the Future Stars class, which is the pre-competitive class. Then she was asked to try out for the competitive team, and she did great. Her competitive season would begin January 2017, but they were already hard at work getting ready for that. Side note: Sis loves leading stretches. I always tell her she should channel her love and skill toward coaching gymnastics one day. I think she would be great!

A couple of other special moments for Sis in gymnastics included being the week she was named Premier Princess - and the classes in which she has been able to ring the bell. The girls get to do this when they have learned a new skill. Everyone in the gym stops to watch her perform her new accomplishment and cheer her on.

Parkour
They started a new class/sport they love this year: parkour. It's such a fun, challenging thing for them to do. They also have a super cool instructor who has competed on parkour/ninja television shows!

This was an open gym/parent's night out they attended one Friday night. It included a nerf war.

Easter
 Easter baskets in age order
Travel
 together again!
(Sis with her BFF since preschool)
 We met my sister Tracy for lunch at The Root Café, which has solid vegan choices. There is this little play area for the kids while they are waiting for their food.

We took trips to Arkansas and Missouri in February, March, and May. It's been so special seeing my nieces and nephews regularly. Moving to Florida, despite the wonderful aspects of such a fun state, has created sorrow in my heart (and many tears have been shed) for missing out on seeing them grow up. I made it my vow when I turned 40 that I just wasn't going to miss out on it anymore. I would just make trips more frequently.

 Homeschool Co-op
Second semester, the kids both took the Chronicles of Narnia class. I happened to be assigned the assistant teacher job for the class. It's one of those books I wouldn't necessarily want to read with them because I'm not a fan of fantasy, so I was glad they took this class. They both like the books. They were assigned to read a chapter on their own during the week, and they discussed it during class. They completed vocabulary worksheets together and other activities. The teacher usually had a book related experiment, craft, or food activity for the end of class.

They made tea during this class, and I can't remember the significance of the cookies. But they also all got to try Turkish Delight in another class.



Curriculum
I've talked a lot about our activities but not a lot about their curriculum this year. The homeschooling requirements in Florida include registering your intent to homeschool with your local school district office the year you begin homeschooling and choosing to take the standard test or keep a portfolio that must be evaluated by a certified teacher. We always do the portfolio, which needs to show an overall record of their year and also indicate improvement. They have been using Abeka history, Time4Learning, Horizons Math (Sis), and Saxon Math (Dash), among other things, including their great classes at co-op.

 Summer Has Arrived
 Sis was happy to have her little brother join her at gymnastics camp at the beginning of the summer. And no one was happier than he was to experience "camp" for the first time.


This summer cousin C and Sis were really into cooking projects together.

Another Birthday
I don't know if it's because we now have a Mac, and I'm not used to it - or blogger has changed. But I can't seem to move this pic and the following up to where it belongs! (I'll edit when I figure this out.) This year Dash invited his neighborhood pals (who once again, we are so very grateful to have on our street) for a day of paintball. Even ol Mom joined in on the (painful and intense) fun.

More Fun (and learning) At Home
The kids experimented with the volcano Dash had made at one of his classes.




No comments: