Thursday, November 5, 2009

Raw Banana Ice Cream

Pretty good food day...juice and almonds for breakfast and a big salad for lunch: lettuce, kale, spinach, red bell peppers, tomatoes, avocado, sunflower seeds, and a little dressing...on the side, Matter of Flax organic, raw Herb Garden crackers...they are made entirely with flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, vegetables, and spices, including tangerine juice, which makes them have a citrus-y taste. I like them. Pricey - around $6 for a box at Whole Foods; wish I had time in my life to make such things from scratch with my dehydrator. The only hard part, right now for me, about eating healthy is it's sort of a full-time job. I don't like to go to the grocery store, and it's been hard for me to keep fresh produce available. Etc. Maybe it will get easier one day. That elusive one day... Sis and I got busy trying out this recipe for Raw Banana Ice Cream we got from the Whole Foods site. She is dipping out the soaked dates. We substituted agave nectar for honey and didn't use peanuts because we didn't have any. Word of advice: never cook with your laptop open next to you...I learned my lesson...the food processor lid wasn't properly tightened, and there was a small explosion on my computer (forgot to tell you about that one, Ryan, oops!)
before we added the bananas

Sissy stirred in the raw cacao nibs before we put the dish in the freezer...I've heard of people loving to eat these chocolate bits plain, but none of us can do it. They taste like plain, bitter cocoa, despite how yummy they might look. They are good mixed with something, though - and very nutritious.

Banana Ice Cream in time for dessert that night...we decided to not call it "ice cream," and if you ever think of making something like this, don't assume it's going to be a creamy replica of ice cream. We all liked it a lot. The kids said we would call things like this "Frozen Treat," instead. I can freeze almost anything healthy and call it Frozen Treat, and my kids are on board.

(Chocolate-Covered Katie is having a kitchen gadget give-away if you want to enter by mentioning it on your blog or commenting your favorite gadget, if you don't have a blog. I would love to win a Magic Bullet or spiralizer, among other things.)

No comments: